Mary Kay Clear Proof | Acne system review

Friday, August 16, 2013


Mary Kay Clear Proof Acne System

I'm a major skeptic when it comes to acne systems. Most of the time, they don't work for me. So, when I was handed this brand spanking new system from Mary Kay, my immediate thought was "ok, this will be a waste of time, but I'll try it". My mother-in-law is now a Mary Kay consultant, and she had her first party about two weeks ago. I'm not sure what to call this woman, but let's just say her mentor (since she has been teaching my MIL all things Mary Kay, I think it's appropriate), told me about this new line. It's supposed to be a revamped system to replace their old one. At the time it wasn't in the catalogs (It should be now), and was available to consultants at this conference type thing in travel sizes. She decided to give it to me to try. Anywho, they didn't know I was planning on reviewing this for my blog, but I still didn't pay for it, is what I was trying to get at. These aren't full sized bottles, btw.


Individual Thoughts

The first thing I noticed about the products is the smell. Only the cleansing gel has a distinct scent, and I don't like it. It doesn't linger, but it still isn't pleasant. The cleansing gel does lather, but since it's a thinner gel, it's a thinner lather, if that makes any sense. The gel itself out of the bottle is clear, and a little bit goes a long way, and doesn't leave my skin feeling tight. I make sure to cleanse before I apply it (as per directions), so I can't speak on makeup removal. I really wanted to use this product correctly, so I didn't stray too much away from the directions.

I did have issues getting the product out of the toner. I can't squeeze the bottle, so I have to tap it on a cotton pad to get anything out. I'm not sure if that's a reflection of the full sized product, though. It doesn't sting, my skin is really sensitive to that stuff (which you will hear me repeat with the next review I have plan, just warning you).

The moisturizer doesn't make my skin greasy at all (it's oil-free), it's smooth, matte, and exactly what I want it to look like. None of these products leave my skin feeling dry, and that's something that I see in a lot of anti-acne products.

The treatment gel is my favorite product in this little kit. It works quick, and the spot (even if it hasn't completely formed to a head yet, gross, I know) will be gone in 2 days or so, which is really quick for me.


Working Together

Now, here's the big question: Does it work? Yes. Yes it does. I don't remember seeing my skin this clear, and this healthy looking in a long time. Yes, a few cleansers have helped clear me up, but nothing was really meant to be a solution.

I'm not as clear as I would like, I still have a few spots, but I also haven't been using this as often as I would like. At minimum I tried to use it once a day for the past two weeks with the exception for a few days where i just completely forgot. I think if I was using it everyday, I would be completely clear by now. Even with the slight inconsistency with usage on my end, I don't have many new spots. Normally I wake up with one or two new ones, probably 90% of the time since using the Clear Proof system I wake up with no new spots.

If my opinion changes, I will be sure to let you all know, but as of right now, I am in love, and it's replaced my toner and moisturizer in my routine (I mix up the first cleanser depending on what my skin needs that day).

Prices:
The Go Set (pictured)- $20
Clear Proof Acne System (full sized)- $45
^^save roughly $14
Individual:
Oil Free Moisturizer 3fl.oz- $18
Treatment Gel 1oz- $10

Overall: Yes, I recommend it. It is pricey, similar to Clinique's system, but is it worth it? Yes. I always say that I will go all out for my skin, and it is one part that I will invest the money into. If you're in the same mentality as me, I say go for it. But, I do suggest trying the travel set first so you can see if it works for you.



40 comments :

  1. It works great ! If you ever want to order again let me know, Ill give you a %

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to order it from my mother-in-law (I'm big on supporting friends and family). What % do you mean, though?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh okay I totally understand that :)
    A discount I normally offer people I know a discount

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo. That's nice of you =) People love getting discounts. Thank you though, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does really work? I got so much acne ._. and like dry skin idk what to do anymore to make it better, even gets so dry that my skin fall off and its hurts, leaves red spots ._.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is tricky. I always say that an acne system depends on the person. In your case, if seems a bit severe (I'm not a doctor, so I really don't have much ground to stand on, I can only speak on personal experience). Seeing a dermatologist is always a great idea. A lot of systems are oil free, and if you have dry skin, that may not be beneficial for you, and with the Mary Kay system I did notice bits of dry skin, so you want to be careful with that.


    If you want to try it, definitely get the travel size first. It's way cheaper than making the $45 investment on full size.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does it help with shine (oil)?

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me it did, although I did develop a few dry patches. Nothing too major, but it is something that I'm not used to.


    I have noticed a decrease in oil on my forehead especially.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can someone tell me the order they go in? I bought the full set along with the gel, but I think my husband threw out the box as I can't find it anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of these acne systems, if not all, go in the following order: cleanse, tone, and moisturize.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also the spot treatment can go under the moisturizer

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually didn't think about it, but since you mentioned it I've been doing it that way =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have really sensitive skin and was using it every day by the 6th or 7th day I noticed my skin felt like it was burning. I stopped using all the gel, cleaner, and toner amd just used the lotion. It still burns I chamgedbto every other day or twice a week. I need help I spent 45 for the whole set and idk if it is me having a reaction it just burns.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The worst thing I've had happen is a bit of dry skin. If I were you I would stop using it completely, and talk to my consultant and see about returning it. $45 is nothing to sneeze about, and there's no point in you keeping something that a)isn't working for you, and b) you won't be using again.


    I'm sorry it's nothing working for you =( Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its okay. Dissappointed. I always have had issues with mary kay amd my friend that sells it said they changed their products. I was giving it a try and she is having me try the time wise set. Well it is her sample to see if I like it. The clear proof really does work amd has cleared up my face just really burns. I used the blemish and toner but stopped and burning has gone down. Think it might have been those afecting we will see. I like the product and is def doing the job just have that

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm 23 and it works great on me. So far it's the best thing that I've tried. Everyone's skin is different, unfortunately, so what works on one person may not work on another.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a consultant an alway offering discounts for I know how tough it is out ther feel free to check it out www.facebook.com/tabithawrightmarykayindependentbeautyconsultant

    ReplyDelete
  18. So what are the steps? I did not see the steps that is what I need help on?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is going to sound kind of silly, but I am just not sure if I am supposed to leave the treatment gel on, or if I'm supposed to wash it off. Same with the toner. I've used other products similar that you are supposed to leave on, but I'm not sure. I just turned 16 so I don't want to make any mistakes and damage my skin. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can look up the acne system on the Mary Kay website and it'll tell you :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The only one that gets washed off is the cleanser. Everything else stays on. The toner acts as a neutralizer. If you notice your skin getting tight after using the cleanser, the toner should help that immediately, if not make it go away. That's one of the benefits to using a toner. I think most of these systems are used the same. I have yet to come across any that are different.


    Your skin is so young. Care for it now, and 40 year old you will be grateful. =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. everytime I use the clearproof acne treatment my face get itchy the second day is tht normal someone pls tell me

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used the toner and when I put in on my face it burns is tht normal? :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my, I've been doing it all wrong! Haha. thanks so much for replying, I really appreciate it :) Your blog is amazing by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That happens to me as well, my skin is kind of sensitive so a lot of products give my skin that tingly feeling. I don't think you should worry about it..lol. I think you need Kristina's opinion just to be sure though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do feel a bit itchy on my chin, but that recently started. I'm not sure if it's normal or not. I would stop using it for a bit, and see if the itching goes away. Are you using any other products?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do you have any open sores? Like a scab that was picked off, or a popped zit? A scratch? Toners aren't supposed to burn by themselves, but the chemicals can make an open sore sting. If you don't have this issue, and it still burns, I would stop using the toner. You skin may be too sensitive for it.


    I'm not a dermatologist though, so don't quote me on this. I'm just speaking from past experience, and my own research.

    ReplyDelete
  28. No,I'm not using anyother products . also my face turns red like if I was sun burn.

    ReplyDelete
  29. is it good if I used this product everynight ?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your skin may be too sensitive for it. If you're using it twice a day, I would either use it once a day to see if that helps, or you could stop using it completely. That's not supposed to happen. Maybe right after you rub it, because of the increased blood flow, but it should go away within a few minutes.


    You could always see a dermatologist, but if it were me i would try to use it once a day, or every other day, and if it still becomes red and itchy, just stop completely.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You're very welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. A lot of the questions I see in the posts above could most likely be answered by your Mary Kay Beauty Consultant. As a consultant myself, if you have questions about your products, like what order to put it on or who to personalize your skin care so it works for you, this is what we are here for! What makes Mary Kay DIFFERENT is the personalized care that you receive ALONG with your product. So NO you don't ever have to stick with a product that's not working for you and you don't have to find the solution on your own! I'm assuming everyone using these products are connected to a consultant- so ask her. If she doesn't know, she'll find the answer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am a 25 years old college student suffering from acne since about 9 years old. Since I was little, I've always had acne with a weird twist of oily skin in the summer and super dry skin in the winter on certain parts of my face. I have tried many drugstore products - neutrogena, olay, burt's bee, etc - and even the more expensive brands such as proactive, dermalogica and some other brands from sephora but none has really worked. In fact, they gave me more acne then before I started using them. After trying so many drugstore brands, I decided to try Citrsu Clear recommended to me by a dear friend. Citrus Clear has a very attractive scent to their moisturizer which my boyfriend loves. The product is very smooth and gentle, and absorbs very quickly. It leaves my face oil free for at least 6 hours and more depending on the weather and activity. I have not seen any new pimple since I started using Citrus Clear.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm sorry I didn't respond right away. For some reason I didn't see this. You can use it every night (even twice a day if you want to) as long as it is good for your skin, i.e. no dryness, or stinging. It's meant to be part of your routine, as far as I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm a consultant with Mary Kay-- just wanted you to know that Mary Kay sales forces honor a 100% satisfaction guarentee--this means if the product does not work for you, we want to know. We'll take it back, exchange it for something that does, or give your money back. It's our corporate policy and helps us give great customer service. Ask your MK lady!

    PS. I appreciate all the feedback--ClearProof is a great skincare line, but like all products, DOES vary from customer to customer. The advice here is great... try using it only 1 time per day OR reduce the use of the toner.

    For super sensitive skin--our Botanicals line is perfect. There are three formulas, including one specifically for oily skin. Hope this helps!
    www.marykay.com/emilyproctor

    ReplyDelete
  36. i usually have serious pimples which leaves spots it was very serious n continued for years until a friend introduced me to the blemish control toner and have used it since 2009, it has never been harsh on my skin anh has cleared all spots and the pimples have cleared off.But this year after i started using the clear proof coz the Blemish control was out of d market the breakouts have statrted appearing, n leaving spots am rily concerned abt this and i also started using marykay Timewise foundation.what should i do Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  37. Can someone please tell me how to apply the toner. Like does it go all over the face?? And do I apply it and rinse it off like the cleanser or leave like the moisterizer. Please hel

    ReplyDelete
  38. Michelle WittenbergerJune 8, 2015 at 9:35 PM

    I am offering 20% off on ALL Mary Kay products, plus FREE shipping on $75+ orders (or else $6), plus a FREE SAMPLE of your choice with any purchase (just email me what you would like to sample. Best of all, you can place your order online and the product is new and fresh, direct form the company. I ALWAYS offer the 20% and free shipping.

    The link is below. You would need to register as a new customer, and contact me to let me know your free sample preference (right now it is set to give you a sample of foundation primer, but I can change it to an acne product).

    http://www.marykay.com/mwittenberger/en-US/_layouts/MaryKayCoreCatalog/ProductsAndShop.aspx?dsNav=N:2000040

    ReplyDelete
  39. What can i do? After using this kit for more than 3 day my skin around my lips and nose started peeling, that my jaw line starded itching real bad.

    ReplyDelete